View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 07:46 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Well....

I'd disagree. Sony don't publish absolute QE data, and it seems derived values vary a tad depending on who's website you want to believe.

So does Christian Buil...

....his testing indicates it's more like 20% at best.

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/isis/noise/result.htm
I've used both sensors extensively and also notice exposure times on this site. Its at least 30%. That link simply goes to an ad for his publications. I thought he measured DSLRs mainly. I am not sure what equipment you need to measure QE but he is not a professional and I doubt he has the gear to do it with properly.

And its more like 40% - 50% plus more sensitive in narrowband where its even more sensitive in O111 than the venerable 6303 sensor. 66% QE in O111 is unique. 70% in Ha is also unique. You can get a pretty clean 10 minute Ha sub from this sensor. What is the KAF8300's QE in Ha or O111? At a guess 45% and 25% versus 70% and 66%

My experience is the KAF8300 is a very poor match for focal lengths greater than around 2 metres. The Sony is not bad, not quite 9 micron performance but it does allow genuine 2x2 binning which takes it to another level with only a modest drop in resolution. The higher QE and low read noise seems to make up for the mismatch in pixel size and focal length to a large degree.

But there is a reason the KAF8300 is the most popular sensor, its quite versatile and suits your average astrophotographers telescopes and imaging conditions quite well, its got a reasonable FOV without too demanding of the optics so its a good fit for most.

Greg.