View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 12:47 AM
gehelem (Gilles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Gilles, I got much further today trying to get the driver working under indi:

1. It is not possible to use the driver with the current debian stable (jessie) as the other packages are just too old. I managed to compile the ftdi library and then to compile indi and then the driver and then I stumbled... ekos and the newer kstars need qt5 which debian jessie does not have. So I had to abandon this approach as it was getting too messy.

2. I got new system running debian testing (stretch). Your driver compiled with stock FTDI and indi packages and I copied the executable indi_cam86_ccd to /usr/bin. I also copied the indi_cam86_ccd.xml file to /usr/share/indi. Was this the correct?

Note: Can you please update the indi_cam86_ccd.xml file on github to say Cam86 instead of Cam84 in two places (name + binary).

3. kstars recognised and "connected" to the driver. Note that it "connects" to the driver even when the camera is not connected so I don't really believe that is connected.

This is where my success ends. The indi control panel does not work/open for Cam86. It refuses to do anything with it. I am not sure what to do next. I never used indi before so that may be my mistake. But the simulated CCD works.

Any hints?

Thanks
Luka
=> xml file is ok now

you don't have to install everything, just run the driver localy in your build directory in a console, e.g. :
Code:
odroid@odroid:~/projects/indi_cam86_ccd/build$ indiserver -v -m 100 ./indi_cam86_ccd
Then, select "client" in device maganer of Kstars
Add a host (localhost port 7624), and connect to it
If you want to run it with other drivers, it's this way :
Code:
odroid@odroid:~/projects/indi_cam86_ccd/build$ indiserver -v -m 100 ./indi_cam86_ccd indi_asi_ccd indi_eqmod_telescope indi_moonlite_focus
(here : cam86, eqmod mount, asi ccd, and a focuser)

This is where indi is a killer app : run your drivers on a raspberry installed under your mount, and stay in your living room using Kstars (even a android versions exists, it works quite well). The goal is to run a least a mount, a ccd and a focuser (even a fake one) in order to open "Ekos" : killer of the killer app !!! May i also suggest to try Astrometry.net, hard to setup, but once it works, OMG...

In my driver, error handling is not yet propagated to indi : running the command line driver you will be able to see the console log, and most probably connections atempts failing.
Did you install the udev file ? this is very important to tell kernel to unmap ft2232 from 2 serial USB (in fact exactly like in Windows, where you tell to unload serial COM ports)
You might also have permissions problems, try to run the driver as root to check.
If so, you may add your user to "dialout" group