View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donman90 View Post
Thanks for all the great responses! It's good to see that I'm on the right track. It may have to wait at the moment for a 'personal christmas present' but I think the 10 inch is the way to go.

I'm really looking forward to taking it up to where my father lives, which if anyone is familiar with south east Queensland is Maleny in the sunshine coast hinterland. Very little light!
Maleny will be ok for using the scope.
An easy way to find the best places is check a light pollution map.

Quote:
With the eye pieces, I'm a little ignorant as to how these drastically change the view? I'll be sure to do some more reading on this but perhaps someone could enlighten me a little, does it just provide a 'crisper' image essentially?
Different eyepieces depending on their optical design, can provide a better viewable image in a scope. Some eyepiece designs are better suited to specific scope types than others.
Different length eyepieces provide different levels of magnification. Basic rule: the lower eyepiece focal length is in mm, means higher magnification.
But there's a catch. Your scope can only manage so much magnification after which things will be over magnified and blurred. So you need to find out what the maximum magnification your scope can do, and the eyepiece focal length to provide that.
Robins Eyepiece Guide
Astronomy Tools - Magnification: Useful calculators and formulae