View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpops View Post
Thanks for that information Dean makes sense now. I was thinking of saving up for a Televue eyepiece which is about $800ish at Bintel but i might be better off getting a larger dobsonian first before the eyepiece?

Anyway, the view is all good now - i can see Saturn clearly and the details/ring - beautiful!

Appreciate your help everyone. Cheers!
Great that all is working now! Well done! If I were you I would spend time getting to know/use your scope and eyepieces before committing to any extra expenditure. A $800 eyepiece will give you a wider, sharper (maybe) field of view than your current one (at the same focal length), but it wont gather any more light: that is the function of the telescope aperture. A nice TV Plossl will give you a lovely view as Lee has suggested, and at around 1/6th of the price of an Ethos... it just wont give you as wide a field.

Best advice is to join a local club, go along to members' nights and check out their equipment: maybe borrow an eyepiece at these events and see how it goes in your scope. Most astronomers love showing off their equipment!

All the best,

Dean