View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Wow your cat has really long legs Mike, and your dog has a huge nose! What have you been feeding them?

I bought the Samyang 35mm f1.4 and am very happy with it although I've only used it once for a bit of astro to test it out. Very sharp, and bright of course. The reviews I read rated it higher, sharpness wise and better coma, at wider apertures than the same Nikon's, plus I wanted a bit more angle than a standard 50mm f1.2 or 1.4.

It does feel good though to have a manual lens again after using them in the old film days. There's something extra about having to set up the lens yourself rather than using the auto focus & f stop lenses around now. I think it reminds you of exactly what's going on inside the lens and certainly recommend these for people new to photography to get an understanding, just like when I started out with manual lenses. I have a manual focus 500mm F4 now too that I'm playing with, and anyway at night lenses need to be set to manual as they won't focus on the dim stars! Taping the focus down once infinity is found is a good idea (as mentioned in that thread link).

Wayne