View Single Post
Old 18-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Well just to clear a few things up. I am only interested in Deep space imaging atm. Planetary I've already got another camera that I could use it for it. (It's a cheapo one that was given to me when I bought a dobsonian from a guy. But it works).

My current scope is a Skywatcher ED72 with 0.85x reducer. So Focal length of 357mm. As I'm still new to the hobby my focus is widefield nebula, and the larger galaxies.

I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon from my current setup. (Too much to do at this focal length and learn before I go to long FL scopes).

I do plan to image from my backyard. Apparently is around a Bortle 5 sky based on Light pollution maps.

I have considered Mono due to being able to deal with light pollution a bit better. But am also considering one shot colour and a light pollution filter. (If anyone can comment on imaging from a bortle 5 sky and whether a mono would really be required please do).

When you say short subs, how long are you talking? is 2-5min short?

And as far as matching my scopes FL to the camera pixel size how do you do that calculation?

I've looked on astronomy tools using the ccd calculators and it tells me a pixel size of less than 3um is ideal for my setup for poor to ok seeing. and under 2um for good or better seeing.

My DSLR pixel size is 4.3um.

Based on the above an ASI183mm-C is a 20.1 mega pixel, 2.4um sensor with 15k well depth and QE of 84%. Read noise is 1.6e which is low.

So that would be a better camera for my setup than the ASI1600mm which is 16 megapixel, 3.8um, with 20k well depth and 1.2e read noise.

Which would you take out of those 2 cameras given my setup and why?