View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Martin.
I have the 8 inch f5 GSO and think it is magic.
Many of my images here are using the eight...see my recent Orion shots ..one with the 8 inch and one with the 80mm espirt.
I added additional tube rings and a coma corrector and had no problems with focus...
After a year and many trips up North I still have not collminated the scope so it is forgiving...I will get around to that in time.
The focuser could be better but it is not bad ..mine has a bit of slop but its managable when I am not cranky.
The scope suffers one problem which isanaged with the additional rings to a degree...the tube seam is rather poor ..it is not joined and needs a strip over it with screws or solder or resin...if you tighten the tube rings it gives...I dont let it worry me as in time I plan to do a number on the tube which will see a supporr strip as mentioned, baffles and a eighth inch ply section under the focuser to reduce flex which I have not found☺.
U have yet to look at how to make the focuser better..it needs a shim or additional rollers...otherwise the adjustment is great...it moves when you tighten it down... but I have got around that...all good if not cranky and tired.
I have yet to add a baffeled dew tube but that is under construction.
The only reason I have not done the baffles is as the colmination is ok at the moment I dont want to touch it...when it gets bad I will pull it down and add baffles and focuser support.
I expect that you will be very happy with that scope...also try it without a coma corrector..I assumed it would need one but I never looked to see what coma was present...given the crop one usually must do after a stack (well that I have to do) coma may not be a problem...save the money if you can.
Alex