View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

The DDR buffer is mostly for anyone using a USB2.0 connection so that you can download into the buffer really quickly (reducing some noise) and then download from the buffer at whatever speed your USB connection will handle. With a faster computer (one that can handle higher USB bandwidth) and USB3 I don't think the DDR buffer makes any difference as you can download direct from camera as fast as from the buffer.

I don't remember seeing banding in my ASI1600 but I do know that the QHY163 had it with exposures shorter than 0.3s, that may have changed since some of the early drivers but as I haven't used a bias with them since those early drivers I'm not sure. And when you're looking at a small background difference in 30,000 ADU (referring to flats) it is only very minor. It may not be an issue with medium sized stacks (50-200) but above that and you may start running into some non-uniform background gradients that are difficult to remove. The larger the stack size the closer to perfect all of your calibration frames have to be before you limit your SNR by calibration noise.