View Single Post
Old 24-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

On the CDK17 you're looking at an image scale of 0.61 for the 16803 and 0.37 for the 8300. The 16803 is around the theoretical limit that you're going to get from a ground based telescope under near perfect conditions. Under great skies, that's where you want to be anyway.
As Ray pointed out, the 16803 is a better sensor. It has a lower read noise, higher gain and less dark current from memory (in part due to having larger pixels).

Ultimately, this is why I go back to stating that I prefer to use image scale and aperture for calculating the efficiency of an optical system. The equation that Ray has stated is fantastic, it is quicker and just as accurate, its only caveat is that you lose perspective. Pixel size and f/ratio does exactly the same as image scale and aperture, just keeps everything in perspective in my opinion.

I am currently saving up to buy a research system. I started with the camera (16803), then calculated image scale and worked backwards to the focal length and then to the telescope from there. May be backwards but it is a good way I have found.