View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

QHY9, some questions.......

Ive had a close look at this cam on the net, see some users here, and read up on posts on it. The QHY spec seems seems pretty good for the price, much less than FLI/SBIG equivalents. The images ive seen also look good.

As already discussed, the 25K well depth isnt flash (problably translates to 14bit in reality), but everything else looks good, the cooling on the QHY9 looks good and regulated (which I assume means you can set it), and the QE isnt bad. (BTW, is the temp inserted into the FITs header for auto darks selection/scaling in DL/CCD stack?).

Specifically, I have invested a lot of $ in 1.25" format filters/focuser etc, and am thinking of an AO8 for my ST10.

My question is would a 1.25" filterwheel/AO8 show that much vignetting?. Im thinking of useing the AO8 on the QHY9, with the ST10 mounted off the imaging train, but its external cam providing AO guiding via a MOAG. This provides AO guiding without investing in another big-chip SBIG. Im also hoping my TCF-S focuser will do, its 2".

Theo has already told me vignetting will occur with 1.25" filters, but I wonder how much, a little cropping would be acceptable without getting silly and wasting all those extra MPs . Eventually, a 2" filterwheel would be the go, but Im hoping to get by for a while without that).

Anyone got pics with 1.25" filters?.

Are the QHY9 users here happy?, the eary versions had some bugs that seem to have been addressed.