Thread: web cams
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2005, 07:27 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I haven't got the long-exposure mod myself, but I know of others who have. Seeker (on this forum) has a similar long-exposure modified webcam, the Atik, and he has some quite good results using it with his little etx70.

The long-exposure mod won't help it for planetary/lunar stuff, you'll only use it for DSO's, and only if your scope has tracking.

The ToUcam is definitely the webcam of choice (over the LPI), despite that article on CN which shows them come out quick similar - i've seen far better results with a ToUcam. Having said that, i've seen very good results with the LPI, even from guys on this forum (xreckor for one).

Search the equipment forum for other "ToUcam vs" threads, there's been some discussion of it in the past.

Also, telescopes-astronomy is the best places to get the ToUcam from, for around $200 you'll get the ToUcam plus the threaded adapter (a must have), and if you can spare an extra $80 you can get the Baader IR Cut filter as well, which is important for some objects (Mars in particular, apparently).

HTH