View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Astrophotography is a great hobby - but it can also be very expensive.
The camera is one thing - but you will also need an adapter & T-ring (another $60). then more + + +
Also as Steve said because your telescope isn't driven you will be limited to the moon and larger planets. You can still have fun but I personally would find it too limiting very quickly. If you hope to take images of deep sky objects - you will need to spend a lot more and depending on your character - in my case I soon wanted more. (and still want more).
I initially spent about $3.5k on a fairly "basic" system. Then I realised the mount wasn't good enough - so I spent another $2k on another mount (which also isn't good enough). Then the camera, which wasn't "modded" wasn't good enough. So another $2k later another camera (which still isn't good enough). Then there are more scopes, filters, dew heaters, autoguider, deep cycle battery, software etc. etc. I actually haven't spent much compared to some people. Don't get me wrong - I love this hobby and it's challenges but the great images you see here are generally taken with expensive equipment and take many hours of exposure time and effort. Take a look at various images and what equipment etc. was used to take them - this will give you an idea of what can be achieved at various levels.

I'm not trying to scare you - but if your expectations are quite low (as Steve said) then go for it. This does tend to be an obsessive hobby.

Regards,
Tony.