View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM
naskies (Dave)

Mike,

One important thing that hasn't been mentioned here is selecting the appropriate rendering intent if you use a fully colour managed workflow. This refers to how colours are handled when you move between devices with a wider/narrower gamut. Here's a good primer article on it:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...conversion.htm

For vibrant, high contrast, "processed" images such as astro images and landscapes - I prefer saturation intent. For more subtle images with lots of subtle tones in the highlights/lowlights, I like to use perceptual intent.

Usually, the printer will just make the choice for you and you don't have to worry about intents. However, if you want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of the equipment and maximise the oomph of your images, it's good to be aware of intents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post
Sadly monitors have the capabilities to be wide gamut but the overwhelming majority aren't. Simple reason is that crap colour management in operating systems means that monitors with wide gamuts look wrong and don't sell very well. I love wide gamut monitors, but some people just can't use them.
Yes, it's a shame that support for colour profiles is so poor and/or awkwardly implemented by operating system and consumer software alike. I've noticed that some companies, such as Dell, have resorted to shipping some of their wide gamut monitors in "sRGB mode" by default. Fewer tech support calls to deal with, I suppose...

Quote:
The only displays which I know of which can display colour significantly outside of AdobeRGB are OLED displays, one single NEC SpectraView display which has been discontinued, and one HP DreamColor model which cost over $5k. My experience is with standard wide gamut display that the primaries graze the edges of AdobeRGB, on the red and blue points, and often fall within the green point. Your interpretation of "well outside" is in my opinion an insignificant improvement. Be delighted to be proven wrong though.
Yeah, fair enough. I was referring to a few of the consumer monitors that I've looked at in recent years. For example, the Dell U3011 that I'm using has the green and green primaries outside of AdobeRGB, and blue just within (see link below, I don't have my own 2D plot handy on my computer). Although many consumer monitors advertise "98% Adobe RGB" coverage, they may actually cover say 125% of the visible spectrum that AdobeRGB does.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...dell_u3011.htm

However, you're right in that you're unlikely to go "wow that's a shade of green that I've never seen on a monitor before" with these consumer monitors.

That said, the saturation of the yellows and golds covered by my printer are very noticeable to the eye - e.g. in a golden sunset, or a portrait taken during the golden hour.

Quote:
Also another note, ProPhotoRGB is not used in Adobe Products internally. They will either all use the working profile of the photo (like Photoshop), or in case of Lightroom there's a profile loosely based on ProPhoto but with a linear gamma curve called MelissaRGB. ProPhotoRGB just happens to be the out of the box default working profile that is applied to images when they leave Lightroom.
Aah, I stand corrected - thanks