View Single Post
Old 30-07-2011, 12:19 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Ephemeral

Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Now there's something you don't read everyday! Brilliant!
Well you do in my observing log! Another word I'm fond of using (and get stirred by my friends for using when recording notes) is "ephemeral". If you don't mix some words in there to give some gradation and shades of meaning, every entry in your log will read like all the others I reckon! English is such a wonderful language but unfortunately in common usage there are some words (over) used a lot like "awesome" but so many others that unless someone nurtures them, will become arcane. I'm here to nurture them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Thanks Les, Michael and Alex. Les our descriptions do sound very similar. Some of these faint GCs are really hard to pick, so I find the DSS images to be essential. I've got Vdb 176HA on my list.
Vdb 176HA is a very, very tough object -- on a par with some of the tougher Terzan and Palomar GC's. In pristine conditions it was *barely* detectable in 31cm. I haven't been back to see it in 46cm. Must do that one day! Sidney Van den Bergh is one of my favourite astronomers. Writes papers that can be read by nearly anyone including dummies like me!

Best,

Les D