Thread: Sbig -402me
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2008, 10:15 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

all the gear that i have use of aka lx200 sbig ect ect is all curtin univeritys, they have gone out and splashed some money without too much research!
so the LX is what we have. Im lead to belive that a Wedge is definately needed for longer exposures. (i can already see this as the stars arn't perfectly round they have tails).

My problem that i found was that no matter how hard I tried all stars where white (over exposed). I used the CCD Ops program with planetary master to focus in on things with peak values and the image looked for all intents and reasons fine.

Slip into the grab part of CCD ops and selected a colour grab with say for the Jewel box at about 3 seconds with a 1.3 multiplyer on green and a 1.6 on blue and the resultant combined image was .... you guessed it black back ground (with a little bit of noise) and white stars. I also observed that subtracting a dark frame killed all little stars or dim stars. We had also tried the Triffid Neb but could only get a hint of nebulosity, the exp times where 18 seconds with the same multipliers as last time. am i in the ball park or did i end up in swahili land?

Some help? ideas on settings or what to do? any takers on a monday night observing session with a little bit of learning attached?

"Look at your exposures, it should be in the ms, not seconds.
Try starting with 10ms

Theo. "

The cam was exposing at 40 milli seconds the lowest it can go and still bright blob!

From what i can read the scope is a RC specially built for Astrophotography this is why i cant understand why it wont proform.