View Single Post
Old 30-11-2007, 09:51 AM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Turbo they are some great images of Jupiter and the Moon. I think the DBK is the best option for a total beginner.

What exactly comes with the camera? Are the cables and mount included?

What is RAW format imaging? Does a camera with a bigger chip produce better quality images?

Thanks for the help
Matt
You need to talk to a dealer about what comes in the packages now. There are a few extra bits you need to get.

Bigger Chip = Better Quality????? NO - just higher resolution. There's a lot to take in to consideration with this kind of thing. Hence, my next point.

Matt, to be honest, these are not beginner cameras (for the price). They will be good longer term, but you're spending a lot for a "total beginner".
I would recommend you hit eBay or some of the astro trader sites, and see if you can get yourself a Meade LPI or Celestron NexImage - Brand new they are selling for $150, so you should do better than that. The advantage of these over a pure webcam is that you don't have to get any mods to them, all the bits come with them and the software is specifically geared to astro work. They can be had quite cheap second hand. My first planetary image came from the LPI, and it was a great way to learn.

Don't get me wrong; I'm the kind of guy who jumps in at the deep end. My first scope is what I have right now (not even a cheap tasco beforehand). Not what many would consider the sane way to jump in to astronomy when you don't really know if you'll even be able to work out what all the gear is used for.

Before you dive in the deep end, dip your toe!

Turbo