View Single Post
Old 21-10-2014, 08:03 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

PC Control and Guiding

Following on from my earlier postings on Autoguiding I am attempting to put together a fixed system in the Ob just using the normal PC, Guider package and get to some sort of stable accurate setup so I can concentrate on actually doing some pix and finding things.

My preferred configuration is Stellarium as the scope control and probably Metaguide as it works well with the ZWO ASI120 camera.
I have been using GPUSB via ST4 to connect guiding and PC through the handpiece to control. But I assume there may be some conflict using two methods to manage the mount, ST4 and the Handpiece.

If I connect to ST4 via the ZWO ST4 connection can I also control via that from Stellarium ? ( or CdC if that is the better option although I prefer the more natural view of Stellarium).

There just seems to be so many different options, combinations and systems. I still don't get what or how Pulse guiding works or what is needed for that. Is it better ? Guidescope will be the usual 80 f5.

Basically I want a minimal hardware (less dang cables all over the place ) that works 90% of the time so I can get back to astronomy instead of DIY.

Imaging via another ZWO ( to be bought ) will be on another PC. I am contemplating also getting a Canon 1100D or similar with Live View just for dedicated imaging.