View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 AM
jase (Jason)

No further issues on the STX A to D converter. There were a few problems with the filter wheel - specifically the filter sizes. The filter wheel assumes a 5mm thick filter, but no-one is actually producing 5mm thick 65mm or 50mm square filters as yet. So when you purchase the Astrodon's, I believe they're at 3mm thickness, hence you need spacers.

They kept the ST8300 without the integrated filter wheel (STL type) to keep the cost low. Obviously with the ST8300C you don't need a filter wheel as its a colour chip. Seriously, this chip is prosumer as Kodak supply a few camera manufacturers hence its mass produced, thus lower cost. This will be a logical step for many DSLR users wanting an entry level CCD system. I mention the intro price of US$2k, which is quite reasonable.

The STX line up as it stand today is with the 16803 chip - nothing else. The STX body can accommodate other chips of course, but nothing clearly planned as yet. It is expected the next chip that will hit the production run was the 6303 chip in the STX body. Cooling on the STX is far superior than the STL and ST series, but you pay a premium.

I didn't come here for the gear, thats just a bonus. I came to speak with others on what they're doing on the processing front. As many will know equipment is not my key interest, but the art of data processing given its at least 70% of the effort in producing an image.

I've got to jump on a connecting flight, will try post some more info when I get moment.