View Single Post
Old 18-01-2010, 01:12 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Thanks Orestis, Paul and Les

Orestis. I am mainly using a 24mm Televue Panoptice with 68deg AFOV and a 13mm Televue Nagler Type 6 with an 82 deg AFOV. I also have a TV Barlow that I only use on the Nagler. I occasionally use a GSO 32mm super plossl for really wide surveys. The 24mm is perfect for large objects and gives a big enough view that lots of navigating can be done and the 13mm and barlow enable me to examine close up. I do find the barlow dims the view a bit so is really only useful on bright objects.
The 32mm has a fair bit of distortion nearer the edge and the sky never looks really dark in it, hence I really only use it for navigating, as a step between the finder and the 24. I would certainly advise against going to short in FL for eyepieces. I did a lot of observing with an 8" scope and 25mm ep at 80x before getting my current setup, and found a lot. Quality eps are expensive and best advice is try B4 you buy!!
Uranometria is a set of atlases. 2 volumes, one for each hemisphere and a guide which lists all the objects. Each volume is $119 at Bintel, so they are a fair investment, but well worth while. Having said that, you should always use them in conjuction with a set of maps in less detail such as the Tirion maps, cambridge Atlas or Nortons, that will help you to get oriented before consulting Uranometria.

Les - I had heard of the 37 cluster, just hadn't picked up that I was looking at it. Will have to revisit soon. I picked up the fact that the cluster is in two parts and if you include the star at the bottom of the photo from DSS there is a triangle shape, I probably still searching for 42!!!

Last edited by barx1963; 21-01-2010 at 12:08 AM.