Thread: Processing
View Single Post
Old 21-10-2017, 01:53 PM
glend (Glen)

My usual way of adding a Luminance layer to an image in Photoshop, it to do a Combine on the RGB layers, then add a new layer on top of that which you identify as a Luminance layer and you can choose Soft light, or Luminance instead of the usual Screen type. You can adjust the Opacity slider to determine the impact of the Luminance. I find generally around 17-20% is plenty of Opacity. It is also possible to use Ha as a Luminance layer in this same way in narrowband images, or to add Ha to Red layer in RGB. In targets like NGC55, which has Ha nodules, it is effective. On narrowband images I always use an uncoloured Ha layer on the Combined, as a Luminance layer, again putting that on top of your SHO, or HSO, etc Combined pallet layers but dialing back the Ha luminance layer opacity to improve the contrast.
There are a large number of Utube tutorials on how to create a Photoshop layered astro image, which take you step by step through the process. Ken Crawford's are among the best.

http://www.imagingdeepsky.com/Presentations.html

I recommend the Clipped Mask tutorial as it shows the way in which he applies Luminance and color correction.

BTW, I do not use PI for anything, it is an un-necesssary expense. DSS does all the Calibration, Registration and Stacking just fine, and outputs as a TIFF if you set it up that way.

Last edited by glend; 21-10-2017 at 03:05 PM.