View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

I think I am half way there…I’ll try some camera forums:

So far my observations with the settings I need to worry about as per the instructions at the following website are as follows:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/QUICK.HTM
Remember my goal is to achieve:
…as long a shutter speed as possible, at as wide an aperture as possible, and at as high an ISO as possible.

“F/ratio”…I have it set to F/2.8……..As Wide an Aperture as possible.
“Shutter speed”…I can change this…but note it is dependent on the lighting conditions. I positioned the camera in a dark closet to see how long I could make the shutter speed. In the dark is seems to go to 16.0 @ F/2.8 ………As long a Shutter Speed as possible.
“ISO”…after messing around with this setting, the above settings changed on me…In the end I was only able to obtain an ISO of 400 with F/2.8 and a shutter speed of 5.0. The ISO is rated to go to 800, however I am learning most of these settings are dependent on the environment and will affect each other.
As for “Exposure”…I assume whilst I am in either of these manual modes PASM, that I am to leave the settings on …0.0…0.0…? I know how to change the values as I have been with other settings but have no idea where I should have them?
And last of all… “Focus”…? I have worked out how to enter manual mode for this, but don’t quite fully understand focusing to Infinity…. 0___I___8 …I assume the closest I can get a focus towards ___8 is best……….I do *Note…that there is an actual setting for focusing to infinity with an icon of mountains…should I just use that setting until I better understand the focusing technique?
OK moving on as the steps suggest.
White balance…I do have the option for tungsten so shall use that whilst in manual mode, however will have to access this option by using the menu button.
Self timer…
OK…I understand this is to allow for a steady shot when using the tripod or other steady device?
I’m curious…when using the self timer feature…or manual focus/infinity focus, for that matter…does one still take the time to slightly push and hold the shoot button half way before taking shot, or before engaging self timer?

Finally last of all…EXPOSURE TIMES:
How does one go outside and take a 10 second exposure of this and a 30 second exposure of that. Do you have to press the shoot button half way down to begin exposure and then estimate the times? Or does the exposure time start as soon as you point the camera at the target with lens exposed and no buttons pressed?...Is exposure time dictated by shutter spped?

No doubt NEWBIE questions…I guess I am feeling more of a grasp for having attempted a post on the topic of using this camera…If you can answer any of my queries or set me straight…please do so. There seems to be a few clear patches of sky and the sun is setting…with a bit of luck, I’ll sort out the settings and have a few pictures to experiment with tomorrow. I’ll sus out some Photographic forums as well. If ya don’t ask ya don’t know!
Dave

Last edited by Davekyn; 01-09-2008 at 05:02 PM.