View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 02:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome from me Warren.
The nano is appealing but I suggest a HEQ 5 first or if you feel you will be in for the long haul a eq 6 ...the mount is the main consideration so get a s good as you can afford and realise you choice of scope depends on the mount you select.... a nano will be too small if you go for much past your camera lens...and I expect although it will be heaps of fun you may find wanting a scope sooner than you think.
And if you don't like it the resale price is pretty good so you won't do all your money.
The little HEQ 5 you can run your current cameras and get very good results.then having got a feel for things and got your mount under control you can add a scope after you have run out of things to do with your various lens.you will hear folk talk about auto guiding but you can get away unguided for a long time..I bought my auto guide set up over 12 months ago but have yet to use it most times..you can get a minute exposure unguided and in fact all my images are only exposures in that region..this is due to firstly not getting good polar alignment and opting to take short exposures to get results..as to telescopes a 6 inch reflector is great but a 8 inch is not that much more money ( go f5 to perhaps have something less demanding than an f4 ) or for more money go for an 80mm triplet refractor, the 80mm on the HEQ 5 produces excellent results but I have had good results with an 8 inch Newtonian on the HEQ 5 which really surprised me how good is the little HEQ 5.
What you can do is get Deep Sky Stacker a free program that stacks multiple images and start right away...with your camera and tripod ..although the tripod and camera is static with small focal length lens and taking many short exposures you will be blown away with say a Milky Way wide field. You can look up "the five hundred rule" to determine exposure times but just have a go via experiment but say 50 exposures at 1 second and a high ISO will have you in the game.
You could start with your longest focal length lens on the Moon , take about 50 at whatever exposure produces no blow out and stack them in again free software..Registax. there is another but I can't recall it's name...by doing this you can get a feel for stacking and processing...if you have Photoshop great if not get Gimp which is free and capable of decent processing...so grab your tripod and camera and post a result by tomorrow..you can do it or at least have some questions.
Stacking images of the Moon will produce a result that will suffer enlargement so you may surprise yourself with what you can achieve tonight.
It will only take a few minutes to capture enough subs to stack...watch your focus go manual and just dont expect the infinity will get you there.
Also I can suggest an easy way to find the Celestial South pole..point your camera in the general direction and take a long exposure such that you can work out the center of those star trails..the center is the Celestial South Pole..you can start on that next dark and stars trail photos are neat in their own right..Google and see what's out there.
Good luck.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 05-07-2020 at 02:29 PM.