View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
I've been looking at the Skywatcher Startravel series of telescopes, and also the Celestron Inspire series to begin with, but I'll welcome any advice folks can give me.
Cheers!

G'day and welcome!

I'm also a beginner and have been having fun trying as many set ups as possible. I started out with the idea that I'd need a big scope to see/image anything worthwhile and thats certainly not the case.

A good tool for you might be stellarium, i have used it to understand the field of view of scope/sensor combinations before each purchase and its really a great try before you buy sort of thing. At the moment we don't have the luxury of meeting up with astro clubs to look through a bunch of different scopes, and i think this is the next best thing. Its free

In terms of the startravel series, once you accept that you're buying an acromat and will be dealing with colour correction limitations, you'll probably enjoy one they seem to be good value for money. I have the 102mm f5 version and my daughter likes to use it when i am setting up other rigs in the backyard. She took this image of carina nebula with it, i think its 55 x 1.6s at iso 6400 on a canon aps-c sensor and a static mount. She stacked it and processed it with free software and is really proud of it. I'm sure you could do much better but its an example of what can be done with a simple set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20200624_003427_042.jpg)
94.0 KB40 views