View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 10:02 AM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I'm a COVID beginner myself... I've been wanting to do this for decades and never found the time ... then one day I was told to stay at home for a couple of months and voila!

Advice ... read, ask questions..read again and ask again, then buy once and cry once. This place is invaluable.

My first bit of advice... get the best mount you can afford.. I used an EQ3 ( or 2 ..can't remember right now ) and it was .. okay. I saved my shekels and recently got a NEQ6 Pro .. which has been a challenge to work out but I am getting there. That mount should do anything I ever want for astro photography, except be portable as it is a heavy beast. It will journey in the car but should I want to walk more than 20m from the car I will need something else.

Polar alignment is key ... and celestial south is NOT magnetic south.. I didn't find that one out for a while and it drove me nuts. 11 and a bit degrees east of magnetic south in Melbourne.

Equipment.. everyone has an opinion on what's best so I will leave that to the more experienced... but if you're a Canon man with a 70-200 don't discount it, it's been producing my best nebula shots so far, though it's a little small for moon shots IMO.

That's all I have.. enjoy!

Jeff