View Single Post
Old 30-06-2020, 11:14 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Well, here is copy and paste from trying to establish an NBN connection:
"As your nbn connection type is not HFC or FTTP, unfortunately Premium speed is not available." (apparently rated only to 88Mpbs anyway)
As Peter mentioned, what you have (undeniably) read from Telstra has no basis in science or technology. You have x metres (30?) of copper from the street pit to the network boundary (Your 1st phone socket).

I can only excuse their misdirecting you with 2 possibilities:

1. They simply have zero idea of the actual technology in your area. This being relayed to you by a bot, script, or minimum wager who has no idea, nor care what they are selling you. Having known a few who have worked for Telstra, it is famous how one hand is FORBIDDEN to talk to the other.

2. The VDSL router provided by Telstra (for an FTTC job) is possibly very cheap, unable to maintain a decent packet handling rate. Cheap modems in the past could not process packet rates found in the 50+ Mbit range. Of course to Telstra, no VDSL Modems exist outside their catalogue. Perhaps their latest range has improved.. perhaps those handling your case are unaware... ok edit... it's marketing.

I cannot believe I'm making excuses for Telstra The short version of this: FTTC is better than FTTN, and nobody (with a choice) wants Skymuster Satellite. Under your situation, from what little I know, I'd be taking this up with a better RSP (AussieBB are great), and get that last 30m(?) of copper replaced (at your own expense if need be). Nobody wants to see you suffer like this. Crap internet is a cruel and unusual punishment that nobody here deserves.