View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Which 'scope to match Full Frame camera?...

Hi eyeryone,

So the very good news was that I was lucky enough to win a full frame camera

It's a QSI 6162 with 8 Pos filter wheel & OAG port. It uses the KAF 16200 sensor, 35mm diagonal, 6 micron pixels. It requires 2" filters.

I've sold my existing QSI 683 camera to pay for the big filters, but the not so good news is that neither of my current telescopes (I have a Stellarvue SV70t refractor and a 10"CF f4 newt) are full frame compatible

I have to set up each time I shoot in my LP backyard and generally shoot NB Nebulas with the occasional trip to a star party/dark site for galaxies LRGB targets etc.

So my options are ...

A) Upgrade the newt to FF by installing a 3" Feathertouch focuser and BIG Paracoor (approx $A3100) and sell the SV70T, the 2" Paracoor and 2.5" Moonlite to help pay for the upgrades.

B) Sell both 'scopes and buy an OTA that's already FF compatible under $6k (I'm happy to consider well looked after 2nd hand gear).

C) Suggestions welcome - What have I missed?

Not going back to an RC/ SCT type 'scope again, so maybe a nice refractor could work?
The notion of one versatile scope with reducer/flattener/extender options has some appeal. ie: Tak TOA-130, Tak FSQ-106 etc. but it seems that the FL needs to be >700mm to suit the sensors 6 micron pixels.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Andy