View Single Post
Old 18-07-2017, 02:26 PM
rgrtht (Ed)

Question Shooting the moon with iPhone 7

Firstly, a warm hello, everyone. This is my first post on here; I've been a member for yonks but only just recently got back into astronomy.

I bought myself a Meade LX90 from Bintel about a year ago. I'm looking to get into astrophotography, eventually working my way up to a proper CCD. However I just saw a short video that Apple posted to YouTube (part of its recent "How to Shoot <blank> on iPhone" series) about photographing the moon.

I quite like the idea of giving it a go, but, as they say in the video, Step 1 is "Set up a telescope and attach your iPhone". Um... right. Anyway, so I googled smartphone adapters for Meade telescopes. Lo and behold, Meade make one themselves, which is about $35-$40 in Australia. I also looked at what Bintel has and theirs are a little more expensive, and they don't stock the Meade fella.

Has anyone tried any of these? I'm tempted to go with the Meade one, just because it's made by Meade and so is my scope, but I'm stupid like that . Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Ed.