View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 PM
RB (Andrew)

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I was going to start a new one but found this one instead.

I held off giving my opinion on this new camera until I saw some reviews by actual users and had a chance to use it myself.

The new Canon 7D is a wonderful camera to use, with many new features that not even the "higher" Canon models have.
Solid, well balance and has a beautifully layed out button system.

With the 7D, Canon has created a new niché in their lineup, an APS-C model that sits high in the prosumer category, indicated by it's single digit model number, usually reserved for the FF and Pro series models.

Image quality and ISO performance are superb, close to it's FF sibling.
The inclusion of two Dig!c 4 processors gives it an incredible 8 fps capability at 18 MP and with a brand new selectable 19 point AF focus system, this camera is a dream come true for birding, wildlife, sports and action shots, as well as portraiture and landscape with it's low light level capabilities.

It has a wonderful new viewfinder (full 100%) that is big and bright, bigger than previous APS-C models and has a built in dual axis level that indicates when the camera is level, either through the viewfinder or LCD screen.

It also has new built-in wireless E-TTL flash support and has very high weather sealing.

The inclusion of HD 1080 (1920x1080) video is nice but I don't consider it essential in a camera, still it's nice to have especially when paired up with some nice lenses or for macro work.

I was considering upgrading my old 5D to a 5D MkII but at around $1700 (lowest I've seen) for the 7D, I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the old 20D first and waiting a bit longer for the 5DII to drop further, I've seen it for around $3k atm.

A friend let me use his new 7D for a very quick session, I'm hoping to have another go with it before deciding but I was initially very impressed with this model.

There's just too many other features to list so here are some links if you're thinking of a new Canon body and it's a good time to buy.