View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Pixel size will directly affect levels of sharpness (diffraction). Worse, smaller pixels play havoc with smaller f stops.

I personally believe Nikon has it right with the D3 - 12mp on a FF sensor is just about the sweet spot. Remember Canon is now doing funny things with the pixel sites, and post noise reduction via chips is becoming better as well. I'd like to see the D3 taking advantage of these types of technologies, we'd probably see another stop to 2 stops improvement.

I'm really worried about the next 1 series camera from Canon, I do not believe it will meet my wants or needs, forcing me to leave Canon at great personal expense and move to Nikon. Oh well...such is life.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
They would want to do some work in that area, I found the per pixel sharpness on the 50D to be poor, despite the higher resolution the sharpness at pixel level was poor in comparison to the 20D. I notice from the preliminary reviews that the distance between the microlenses and pixel sensors has been decreased, hopefully this will improve the sharpness and overall resolution.
I don't have a problem with HD video but Canon really needs to put some effort in to follow focus if HD video is to be of any real use.