View Single Post
Old 17-05-2017, 10:24 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Hi Chris,

There is a list somewhere on this site prepared by John Bambury which has about six hundred southern hemisphere objects, which can be ordered in terms of best month for seeing - I tend to use this as an excellent resource for my monthly dark sky trip for my 16" dob, where I'll tend to attempt the fainter DSO's not readily captured at home with an 8" dob. Trying to get through 50-100 objects in a night is a little ambitious though, so I'll plan ahead and work out a few of the more interesting objects, particularly planetary nebula which are all but non-existent at home, and hope to get about 30 for the evening. Stellarium is a great app for targeting particular areas of the sky as you're doing, which is a good idea. It's hard not to track down the old favourites every time you pull the scope out though! Another option if you've got good skies is to use stellarium (or similar) and try to track down one type of object for the whole evening - this can reduce the time spent changing eyepieces, but can get a little tedious. Best of luck.