View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 09:02 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflashjordan231 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I have it where i can get some photos which is a good start. I use the nikon oring but celstron t adaptor seems useless. It is exactly the same as a 2x barlow. I believe i might need a proper adapter.
In what way "useless" you talking magnification? because the adapter wont change that. If build quality, a good fitting metal adapter is best (matte black finish to reduce reflections).

Also the focuser assembly on the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly: the telescope tube itself) is designed to hold the small mass of an eyepiece up close to the assembly, not a heavy DSLR held several inches further out. So parts of it can bend slightly causing distortion in the image. As you experiment and learn the moon is a great target to test things out and easier to find in the sky when its up. Achieving focus can be difficult and while a barlow can give you magnification it also puts the camera further out so increasing stress on the focuser. If you are on a tracking EQ setup this is also enough to upset the balance of the rig to effect tracking. Plus it adds stress to tracking motors.