View Single Post
Old 30-03-2012, 06:45 PM
astrospotter (Mark)

What direction is the chin?

Ok I have to revisit this one now, clearly I missed this face and I like to form images in nebula. Can you re-post what direction the chin would be pointing in this 'demon' face? I'll get it if I know where the chin points I think.

I am the guy who sees a screaming thin Banshee head with wild hair in M42 and a 'Wizard of Oz' type of baboon face in your Tarantula Nebula and heck I even see a big bull in a large coat in Eta Car and a very distinct headless man in 2516 cluster (All of these are of course a stretch to envision of course but I see them easily once first discovered).

All I got from 2440 in Feb 2010 at 389x in 18" was this rather booring and clinical description:

1' len with OIII filter. 45" len No filter. 2EL 70dPA with no filter. Bright in central section. Broken central core brightness, brighter on N than S. Wonder if this is a break around central star? Very bright in central section but fainter extending for the Elongated size. OIII filter with averted shows 1' len. Strange central section like mini-arms going N and South. Seems to be some dark areas very near the core offset near edges.

Oh and thanks for sharing the OR Paddy, real nice read as usual.

Glad you had a fairly good night. Been raining over here (CA in USA) all this new moon except one rather poor transparency AND seeing night (but at least no rain or major clouds).

Last edited by astrospotter; 30-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.