View Single Post
Old 20-03-2017, 03:42 PM
gregbradley

These are Sony sensors and really nothing to do with Nikon except for the fact that Sony supplies Nikon these sensors. I just read where Sony is not going to supply Nikon with its more specific sensors anymore so a 46mp Sony Exmor sensor in a D820 is unlikely (42.4mp more likely but that's the Sony A7r2 sensor).

The Sony Exmor 36mp CMOS sensor as used in the Nikon D800/D810 and Sony A7r is an amazing sensor. Its a 35mm sensor (36x25mm or so).

I have used 2 digital cameras with that sensor - the Nikon D800e and the Sony A7r. Nikon implemented that sensor a bit better than Sony did. Better looking noise grain and no stupid hot pixel suppression that damages stars like Nikon used to do several years ago.

Its quite low noise especially at higher ISOs. I think its around 5 microns or more in pixel size (42,4mp backlit Sony A7r2 sensor is 4.88 microns, has a read noise of well under 1 electron at higher ISOs (like ISO1600) and a very high QE. But it suffers a bit from thermal colour noise and the 36mp sensor has a bit of amp glow.

If there were a mono version it would be more attractive as Bayer matrixes really rob the sensor of sensitivity.

The Sony 42.4mp backlit sensor would be hot if it were in mono. Wow, that would be quite a camera.

If QHY or ZWO get mono versions then this will seriously dent the traditional CCD cooled cameras. They would most likely be superior to the CCD models currently on the market. The current Sony A7r2 sensor would for sure.

Greg.