Thread: Pier question
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 11:28 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Thanks Rick!
Yes, the pyramid with the smaller opening at top is always a go to for any structural I've ever done for posts being concreted in (mostly carports and garages when younger).
My tripod was quite good just sitting on 3 pavers set on a gravel base with sand on top for levelling. One paver was set down around 6 inches, one around 3 inches and one at ground level, the joys of a sloping yard. I used a laser level (green one I can see in daylight) and checked the other day, with a lot of rain in recent months (about 48 of them from memory) there was a total difference of around 1.5mm over the three and I set them in at least 6 months ago I think (or yesterday, I just don't remember stuff any more).

I did dig a drainage trench for the 2 set below the ground level so they wouldn't float.
I was getting good 3 -4 minute exposures with an RC8 pointed at Orion (M42) and that's with a modified EQ5 PRO mount (tapered roller bearing on RA and high spots removed from alloy worm gears.
I had the one half a star in every frame over 250 x 180 second exposures, not the slightest drift and all of this done by a total idiot (myself).
I just sat the tripod in the perfect place on that occasion.

Plus a pier would significantly reduce set up time. I have also considered making a lockable water/bug proof cover for the head sitting on the pier and leave it out permanently. Hopefully reducing the need for alignment other than perhaps a quick check here and there. I have to learn to weld alloy first. I excelled in it when I did my fabrication engineering well over 20 years ago and have a very nice 200 Amp TIG welder here I just can't remember how to use.
Maybe a spool gun on my MIG will do, not as pretty though.

Last edited by Leo.G; 05-03-2024 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Hitting wrong numeral keys