View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenswale View Post
Sab, it is without doubt that the scope is in good hands. It is so very pleasing to see it in use and performing beautifully. And once again - sigh!!!!
I can say, responding to your ad was one of the best astronomically related decisions I've made 5 minutes to set up and packs a punch. It'll compliment the 12" truss nicely. Been discussing the scope with DavidU in chat the other night and it turns out the mirror is made by the same folks who supply optics for the Takahashi Mewlon scopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Sab
Congratulations on such a good night, and glad you put it to good use!
NGC 1999 is one I have nabbed a couple of times. In Jan last year i noted

NGC 1999 Emission Nebula in Orion
RA 05 36 30 Dec -06 42 00 Dim’ 2x2 Type E BC 1-5 Colour 1-4

From Iota Orionis a narrow 45’ long isosceles triangle points Sf. S star is mag 6, faint pair of mag 8 stars to Sp, target is about 15’ to p of these. Moderately bright small nebula, at 115x appears just larger than stellar with an outer envelope. Could be mistaken for a small globular. UHC Nebula filter has some effect at 115x. There is a dark structure which is clearly shown in DSS image (see http://spider.seds.org/ngc/ngcdss.cgi?obj=NGC!1999&r=5:36.5&d=-06:42&e=J2000&h=19.2&w=19.2&f=GIF&c =none ) but couldn’t be made out.

and had another go on Dec 23. I noted that there appeared to be a faint star superimposed which became evident at 150x

Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm! I don't think I've seen a night as good as this, atleast in the last 5 or so years since I first bought a larger scope. Thanks for posting your own obs of 1999, I recommend using atleast 300x to see the dark globule. It's a fairly small object and at high power under dark skies (darker than here!) I'd imagine it would be quite a striking sight.

cheers