View Single Post
Old 26-01-2020, 06:24 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for the replies and feedback Les and Steve, much appreciated.
Steve, I find the Sissy Haas atlas quite handy for use in light polluted suburbia, it and the Cambridge atlas both list 7 doubles and that is what I was concentrating on the other night and I guess they are aimed at the less than obsessed observers and less than perfect skies. I also have printed maps using Starry Night Pro. ver. 4.5 that I configured to show more, 15 in fact, but still keeping the magnitudes brighter than 10 . The extras are mainly John Herschel and Innes catalogue listings and there are other resources available , WDS for example and Cartes du Ciel. Between them all there are enough targets to keep me occupied for life.
Les. my colour description could have and probably was skewed by the smoke haze, giving them all a more orange hue and for my old eyes and the aperture used, anything fainter than mag. 8 appears grey / white. It will be an interesting exercise to revisit this area again from a darker site with no smoke pollution and take note of any differences.
Wasn't trying to be too techy with the descriptions and the measures were taken from the Sissy Haas and Cambridge atlas'. What I should do is get the Celestron Microguide eyepiece out and put it to use. There never seems to be enough time or clear skies to do all I would like to though.