View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 12:36 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Joshua, there's some beautiful work there mate!
Any chance of a quick rundown on your equipment, tools and jigs etc? I'm still an amateur at lathe work and am fascinated at how you cut such fine threads and mount some of those pieces.

Thanks Rick.
Nothing special really. A lathe that can do left and right hand threading, x and y power feed, tool holders with carbide inserts for removing large amounts of aluminium. Also tool holders with HSS in them for grinding custom shapes and threading tools.
A good set of dial test guages and vernier calipers. Thread gauge wires for measuring the OD of male threads before parting off.

I made a clamp that goes on a tool holder that clamps my drill so I can drill into parts in the chuck for bolt hols at indexable increments etc.

The machinists black book is a great resource. I mostly use it for getting the OD and ID and thread depth measurements when making threads. Lots of green and white scotch bright pad also.

Most of all, just have a go, make parts, dial in your machine to make sure its cutting true ( for example not a taper ) you will make mistakes... I've made many and learnt a lot from them, but if I'm not happy with a part, I make it again

Hope that helps
Joshua