View Single Post
Old 29-09-2018, 11:56 AM
RyanJones

I haven't hooked my camera up to a laptop and my camera is the first of the 5D's so it doesn't have live view so i couldn't tell you. I would expect that you would be able to see some of the brightest stars but as Bojan confirmed for me earlier, live view is effectively lots of super shot exposures. I'd imagine that would limit what you will see in it to only the brightest objects. Hence why you have no problem with the moon or planets. Given that my single exposure I posted was 22sec, I wouldn't have expected to see anything at all in a live view that has a refresh rate of maybe 10th of a second or less. Remember the human eye has an approximate refresh rate of around 24 frames per second so anything that appears in the screen as smooth motion when you move it will effectively be taking 24 or more frames per second. That's a really short exposure.

Please however understand that my input is not based on experience with your exact equipment or seeing conditions. I'm just piecing together my experience with my lesser equipment and my understanding of how live view works. I am happy to be corrected by someone that knows better than I or has experience with your particular setup.