View Single Post
Old 19-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Shannon.
The Bushnell, is that a goto scope?

I had a Bushnell 114cm goto a long time ago, and i found it OK to use on planets. Rings of Saturn, yes. But pretty small image, but still discernible.

But not too good for faint DSO's, even though with the goto you could at least have a good chance of finding them, even if you couldn't "see" them.

But the SW 12 go, that is a real scope.
Yes it will be much better to see DSO's and will have a more accurate GoTo computer navigation system.

I am currently using a SW10inch (non goto) and I am very happy with it.

Now, back to your "seeing" problems.
Your strong eyepieces (lower number mm) give higher magnification, and the Barlow just doubles magnification. But there is a limit to how much magnification you can "use" and still see a decent image. The size of your scope (diameter) determines how much light you are getting, and this determines the practical maximum magnification you could expect (irrespective of barlows etc.).
Additionally atmospheric conditions can also reduce your ability to use too high a magnification. So the less atmosphere you have to look through the better. (So basically, the higher in the sky the better).
One more thing is your own eyes need to be dark adapted, which can take 30 minutes away from bright lights. We use RED lights as these do not disrupt your night vision.

Welcome to IIS
Hope you enjoy the skies.
Ask many questions.
Try to get along to an observing night to speak to others and learn from their experience (and to see through their scopes and eyepieces).
Keep looking up !