View Single Post
Old 15-12-2007, 11:34 AM
thorsdad
Triffid Nebula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls48 View Post
Last night my Meteor capture camera (az 321° al 40° fov 48°) recorded 43 meteors. From it 4 were sporadic and the rest Geminids.
Brightest one had peak magnitude -1.7 and was visible for 1.4 seconds moving at 38 km/s.
Nice one Karl. Do you have a link where you could put the vid up, maybe youtube or something? Would be great to see.

We first set up in the front yard at 23:00 local time, at about 23:15, the missus (Sharon) saw one meteor starting near canis major (and brighter than it) moving south and ended up in carina somewhere. She described it as like a flare . Went for about 3 seconds. Damn, I missed that one.

I saw another nice one, slow moving started near orion moving south past canis major. No colour but could see a glowing head get bigger for a moment, then faded out, went for about 2 seconds.

At about 00:30, we moved to the back yard, a bit darker without the street lights. We saw a few more short streaks, some quick, some a bit slower from around the gemini, orion, near mars, and even a bit south near canis major. Some travelling north and south, and a few east and west.

All in all, we observed from about 23:00 to 02:00 when cloud started rolling in. We totalled about 13. Not huge, but our best meteor viewing session. And the best one of all was the one the Sharon saw at about 23:15. Sharon woke up about 04:00 and checked the conditions : Cloudy so we didn't bother getting up to observe. We'll try again tonight, raining at the moment, hopefully clears up.

Thanks for the reports guys