View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
gregbradley

That would be true if there were large gaps between pixels which I don't think there is.

Empirical evidence says its the other way round. If your theory were correct I wouldn't see the same sensitivity between Microline 8300 and Proline 16803 and I do see the same. So the proof of the pudding is in the eating so to speak.

I see the same sorts of theories on DPreview about DSLR cameras and megapixels. The Nikon D800E proved all that incorrect. Its about the most sensitive camera out there, really low noise, it has small pixels,57% QE. That's a Sony Exmor sensor.

Fuji XE1, Sony Nex 5 and 6,Nikon D7000, Canon 60D/7D all show low noise with small pixels.

I don't see so many of those posts now as the proof is in the many images showing low noise and high sensitivity. The theory was small pixels give less sensitivity and higher noise. What that doesn't take into account is the constant improvement made to the sensors by clever engineers looking for a boost in performance. Technology has moved on.

A lot of phone manufacturers are going for the newish Sony stacked backlit CMOS sensor. Its 13mp and 1.2 micron pixels! Yet its twice as bright as other sensors.

These Sony engineers are at the cutting edge. I read about constant improvements in sensor design. From clever colour filter arrays from Toshiba that have no light loss compared to the regular dye Bayer filter arrays, to a clever use of larger capacitor with a gate by Aptina that increases well depth when the well fills. Sony Exmor has some clever analogue to digital circuitry in the columns that they bought out another company to acquire and is a major reason why their Exmor sensors are better than anyone elses. Plus their backlit stacked sensor. Even Kodak/True Sense Imaging's clear RGB filter array is looking a bit dated and superceded already.

I am not sure what new technology the Sony engineers have in that CCD but clearly some of these advancements have made their way into it to get that sort of performance out of a small pixelled camera.

Mike Sidonio will be using his soon so his results will be the final evidence of this and we will know for sure. Otherwise the rest is speculation.

Greg.