View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
gregbradley

I think you have made an error there. QE determines sensitivity not pixel size. That's what QE means - what percentage of photons hitting the pixel result in a signal.

Pixel size determines resolution.

It will be more sensitive than the 9 micron cameras with 60% QE. I have both 16803 and 8300. They both have 60% QE. The 8300 is 5.4 mcirons, the 16803 is 9 microns. I don't see any difference in sensitivity. The seem much the same on several different scopes. The resolution is different as is the FOV and more importantly the smaller wells make it more sensitive to bright stars and losing colour and halos around bright stars.

There may be a slight loss with smaller pixels due to the antiblooming channels around the pixel resulting in a larger percentage of surface area taken up by them. Also perhap QE of these sensors may vary with F ratio of the scope in that super fast scopes may give a steeper light cone less suitable for a pixel receiving light.

SBIG ST10XME has been the highest popular QE camera and it has 6.6 micron pixels (and non antiblooming).

Greg.