View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhound31 View Post
Here's the head I am considering by Manfrotto, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=244282&is=REG

I just don't know about the legs. I am after STABILITY.
Here's the page of legs. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...656+4291348219

Whilst I hike long distance with all this gear on my back up mountainous terrain, I need something that is light but still sturdy.

Baz.
I can't say much about it, I don't do a lot of tripod work (I'm a handheld macro guy, as are most macro imagers). I do have a manfrotto head/tripod, but can never remember the model numbers lol! You are right though - you want something light but sturdy. I think the head will probably be OK, the legs look a bit too weak. Others can probably offer better advice here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Dave, I don't own a 1D/1Ds series Canon.

I actually own the lesser camera (although in the words of the president of Canon Japan, the 5D Mark II is their marquee camera). The 1D Mark IIn is now old technology. That may have had crap focusing. Mine doesn't skip a beat. You can be as critical as you like, the proof is on my hard drive, in print, and in wedding albums.

Regards,
Humayun
H - the 5D mark II is a very good camera - see my comments above. I do think my comments on the AF are valid though - and I'm not the first to make those statements about Canon's lack of improving the 5D series cameras AF wise. Many on POTN and dpreview.com and FM have said exactly the same. The Mark IIn has better AF than the 5D or 5D Mark IIn, although my current camera has AF issues I'm pretty sure (back focusing) and my 70-200 really needs to go back to Canon for calibration. It's shocking atm!

And I know you're a super photographer - I've only seen a few of your wedding images but they rock. Not my genre, and I bow to those that have far more knowledge and experience in that area than I do. Remember, photography is all about capturing the image, and I suspect you have a very good eye for seeing what "might happen" and this gives you a killer edge when trying to grab an image, especially at weddings when unpredictable things happen. Remember though - unpredictable is not fast moving necessarily. A 1 series body will focus better than a 5D body in nearly every instance imho.

Dave