View Single Post
Old 24-01-2015, 05:43 PM
dradford (Don Radford)

Thanks Geoff

the Moravain is looking very tempting. As the new scope is not due for 3-4 months I have a little while to decide. However I have to let Planewave know so the correct connections are supplied.

Hi Greg
I will ask on Monday
However there are some figures here from a cloudy nights review of the Moravian Instruments G4 16000 by Michael Miller
http://www.cloudynights.com/page/art...g4-16000-r2815

" I have been testing a Moravian Instruments G4 for the last 90 days. The camera is on loan from the company. Below I have listed my findings from experiences over a variety of imaging sessions performed during that time frame. Filters used were AstroDon Gen II E series. The equipment is located at a remote observatory and images were shot all hours of darkness about 70% of the evenings.

Initial impression-
The camera is very well built, solid and reminds me of a QSI body design. The filter wheel is very compact considering it holds 7 50 mm square filters. Connections were straight forward and solid. Installing the filters was simple and took less than 20 minutes.

CCD Chip characteristics-
The Kodak KAF 16803 chip displayed no detectable bad columns in calibration files and was on the upper quality level of chips I've used. The AP4Win measurements are:

Bias Sum Mean: 999.901 ADUs
Bias Diff StdDev: 7.9189 ADUs
Flat Sum Mean: 80021.4 ADUs
Flat Diff StdDev: 234.557 ADUs
Dark Frame Mean: 506.992 ADUs

Derived Results.....

Conversion Factor = 1.44 electrons/ADU
Readout Noise = 8.05 electrons RMS
Mean Dark Current = 0.005625 e/pix/sec during 1800.0 second exposure at -29.8 C

The read noise is below Kodak specs and was evident in the images. Images calibrated very well and minimal noise reduction in post processing was necessary. "

I guess you would have to do a dark at -29.8 C to compare!

Has anyone used the Moravian OAG?
http://www.gxccd.com/art?id=436&lang=405
I like the fact they make the filter wheel and OAG themselves to fit the G4.

Don