View Single Post
Old 21-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Gama

Nikon D200 Review has begun

Well im glad to inform the people waiting for the review of the Nikon D200, It has started, all be it in bad enviromental conditions (Raining, as usual).
First initial response was, "Heavy", "Buttons and Switches everywhere", "Nice".
This camera feels like a camera, as its solid, by this i mean it feels beefy..
I put the D200 thru some initial tests, i used an IR (Infra red) source to light up a wall, then i took images from both cameras (Canon 20D, Nikon D200).
I set the cameras to 18mm f5.6 2.5 seconds Exposure at ISO 1600 and clicked away.
The D200 showed nothing (Black), the Canon 20D showed a pink wall. Thus the Canon was more sensitive to IR, but i then changed the Frequency of the IR source (T.V Remote control), and then the D200 detected the source.
So it looks like the D200 has a very very steep I.R cutoff, but unless your main need is I.R work then this is not so important, as you need to remove I.R for Imaging. If it is important to you, then the removal of the Hot CCD Filter will fix everything, after the warranty period of course.
What about Noise ?..
Well im glad to say that it absolutly kicked the 20D's butt at all settings to ISO 1600 (As far as i have tested so far).
Not only is it significantly different, but is also so much sharper.
This really suprised me, but then thats why when they Review the D200, they choose the Canon 5D to compare it too.
Well, thats it so far. I'll upload some images soon so it can give you an idea of how its progressing.