View Single Post
Old 13-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Paul Haese

Update

Bit of an update here. It's been another few months since the last update. So what has been happening?

Command software - CCDautopilot5 has been glitch most of the time. In the 30 odd runs I have done with it, it has only ever completed a run 1 and closed down properly. However that is not to say it has not closed the roof as required, it just tries to start again and again and again.

One thing I know about this is that it is most likely a lot of other little things that are causing the command program to vaulter. So don't take my meaning to be that the program is the fault.

There has also been issues to sort with roof automation and USB's dropping out. I had thought it was to do with the roof motor and RF or signal being a problem. In the end it looks like it was an incompatibility with the software and the MHP. I removed all the USBs going into it and put those cables through the mount. It gave me greater reliability. I still need to use the robo focus unit instead of the MHP to control focus as I think using the MHP is causing problems in CCDAP.
One thing I am going to do is try the trouble shooting ideas on CCDware website.

So at least the roof opens and closes properly.

Next I addressed the Cloud and rain sensor. I went with the AAG and that has been rock solid. It provides reliable data and has shut the roof every time cloud cover has occurred. It will not let AP open the roof if there is cloud about.

The next thing I decided to sort once I had internet on site was being able to turn things off and on via an IP Switch. Being able to connect via the router is important and if you are using Wifi getting the signal sorted with the settings can take a bit but I have a thread here detailing how to do that. Once you get a connection you can control the unit via the main computer or via webpage. I am yet to get the webpage settings sorted but for now I can turn off the mount, weather station, roof and camera. That way if need to reboot anything I can. With the wifi of this unit just remember to put the SSID of the modem router into the IP Switches SSID software. I made the mistake of thinking I had to put the IP switches SSID into that field when in fact it has to be the modem router that brings in the internet.

The latest thing I have done is get a UPS. There are several lines of thought in this regard. You can use a small ups to power the computer and one to power the roof or you can get one to power the lot. I went with the later. The UPS I bought is very expensive. My thinking was to extend the life of the imaging session, so I would not lose the chance to gather more data. Really in the scheme of things this is less important than protecting the gear. So for now I will go with protecting the gear and think about buying the extension packs later it at all.

So at present I am imaging from home, but tentatively going to bed on nights in which the sky is totally clear. I don't yet trust the system and there is still some more wrinkles to iron out before fully trusting the system is real.