View Single Post
Old 25-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Quark (Trevor)

I had been involved in astronomy at various levels for many years before I discovered IIS. Living in the remote outback my appetite for astronomy was fed by occasional visits to the SPSP and a foray into the tertiary education system via distance ed.

On IIS I have come across others as passionate as me about their astronomy. My planetary imaging would not have progressed as rapidly if it were not for the advice I have received on IIS. The cream of Australian amateur planetary imagers post here and the ones I have spoken to have been very approachable and freely share their experiences.

I have no one out here in my region that I can discuss imaging problems with or talk to regarding experimentation with various processing techniques.

But for my time on IIS ( since April 2008, I think), I would not have gained such an understanding of Peltier cooling and probably would not have given any thought to building one. As a result of the improvement in my imaging I am now part of several international groups involved in planetary research.

When given the opportunity to observe with the Keck Telescopes at 14,000 ft on the summit of Mauna Kea it was with great pride that I wore my IIS beanie.

During my time on IIS I have made friendships with people that I would have never met but for IIS.