Thread: QSO in Indus.
View Single Post
Old 17-10-2020, 12:30 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Thursday night ended up being clear with great seeing so armed with a new chart, gave the quasar another shot. After locating epsilon Indi and moving on to NGC 7205 (10 mag) I moved over to the field and spotted the asterisms on the main chart. Once finding the line of stars in the middle I then looked for the 16.75 mag star at the right end of the line. Spotted with averted vision after a few minutes of trying(faintest star seen to date through the 18 inch scope) I then looked for the 16.75 mag star just above the quasar and duly spotted it with averted vision (it forms an isoceles triangle with the two stars under the quasar).
Next, tried for the quasar by noting its location in respect to the two stars below it- 15.65 and 14.45 mag with which it forms an equilateral triangle.
After trying for a few minute the quasar was spotted first as a light haze then as a point source on consecutive sightings. Over the course of a half hour, the quasar was spotted a half dozen or so times.
Towards the end of the night I revisited it again and was able to spot it a few times over the course of 20 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (imgcut (19).jpg)
121.5 KB22 views