View Single Post
Old 22-10-2009, 01:50 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Thanks for the comments Les. I was rapt with the M74 ob. Had tried several times before at home but LP defeated me. Tried again last night now I know where and what I am looking for, but still cannot see it here. I think seeing the spiral was actally helped by being faint, sometimes big objects are almost too bright to see structure effectively. A fellow observer using a 16" Lightbridge confirmed being able to see the structure as well.
It was nice getting the 3 Andromeda Messiers. First time for me as they are blocked by trees etc at my place.
Snake valley has very nice dark skies for a site so close to Melbourne. As it is only half an hour from Ballarat, it would be only be 1.5 hours away for many Melbournians. There is some glow from Ballarat itself but as several objects (M31, M32, M110, M42, M43) where in the sky in that direction and I was still able to observe them, its isn't too bad. There is a road nearby, so headlights can be a bother. Have noticed that many of the imaging guys are less worried about lights than us visual types and the majority of attendees are imagers.

Thanks again
Malcolm B.