View Single Post
Old 20-07-2018, 11:18 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baza View Post
I don't have the height problem with a 12" but have had neck injuries that make a 90 degree finder necessary. You can't move the focuser but can rotate the top by 120 if you want.
have you looked at moving the finder bracket to the lowest possible point or considered attaching a right angle bracket under the big black nut to mount the finder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolindon View Post
g day Bob,

the 16" is my grab n go; it sets/packs up in 4 unhurried minutes and for my 185cm is soooo convenient as zenith is at my eye height standing on the ground.

the 18" is where i, with a heights phobia, struggle cos at zenith the eyepiece is 220cm and i'm 2 steps up a ladder and stepping one foot across onto a milk crate to look into my straight thru finder. plus up n down to shift the ladder when turning in "dob's hole" and it comes up against the ladder when aligning. oh those views tho . . . they are worth it

i like your idea of a lower finder; get aligned then up the ladder and viewing with a right angle finder up there also. BUT my 8 strut system = unaligned struts so need another bracket/platform to mount it.

regards, L
Appreciate your interesting inputs, Barry & Lindon
I have two finders now, the original on top which is quite comfortable to use at lower altitudes below 45degs, and am placing the 2nd on the low side for using above 45deg alt's

Was squizzing at Planets last night, and have a marked position for the 2nd finder now, I reckon it will earn its keep no probs !
---------------------------
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolindon View Post
BUT my 8 strut system = unaligned struts so need another bracket/platform to mount it.

regards, L
Interesting situation Lindon - If your handy with a drill & an angle-grinder, you could fashion some thin 1mm Galvanised sheet up to bridge two struts ?
If you need/like any further info, throw a PM my way - I already have a plan , ,